COMMERCIALIZING FAITH.
“Give a man a rock,
Tell him its divine.
And he’ll worship it,
Till the end of his time…”
These famous words of Swami Vivekananda, perhaps best describes today’s commercial faith. I call it commercial, because, lets face it – you just can’t go to a temple nowadays, or any place of worship, for that matter, without cold, hard cash in your pocket. Shelling out huge sums of cash is just the first step – they have different terminologies for it like ‘darshan fees’, ‘prasad fees’, ‘archana fees’, and so on. What is this but blatant blasphemy of “God” and overt exploitation of blind faith of our fellow humans? In laymen terms, its called daylight robbery – only, no one realizes it. Lets take a case study, shall we?
Isckon is perhaps a household name by now. A few years back, there were rumors that the so-called sacred institution was a front for drug peddling, prostitution, and work-force abuse. I don’t know how far this is true, but personally I don’t care. What I actually want to convey about Isckon, is the fact that it does not instill that bhakti— which is what we surely go to temples for. U see cakes being sold everywhere; milkshakes, pizzas, doughnuts, for crying out loud. It’s more like a bakery than a temple and I know many would disagree, but all I tell them is to think out of the box, think rationally.
I unfortunately, once, found myself in a temple dedicated to lord Shiva. I happened to see many things, which disappointed me. I saw a helpless foreigner being cheated out of his money by a purohit, who was speaking to him about how the temple trust found him charitable, and how they would send him prasadam, by post. I saw, also, that the money went into the purohit’s cloth. U see, the people who are deemed messengers of faith, are themselves corrupt. Later a woman who was in front of me asked a pujari, where she could get the archana done, for which he replied to enquire at a counter! U see, the whole effect of devotion is lost if you stuff bakeries and reception counters into temples.
It’s the common scene in any temple you visit, in Bangalore. People try to make temples more attractive and modern but fail to remember during the endeavor that that is not what we want. What we do want is a calm place where we can enjoy our moments with God under a huge banyan tree, listening to the chirping of birds, rather than getting a scratch card to win prasadams!
4 comments:
ur right....and isckon(sorry if the spelling's wrong) more like a mall than a temple what with all the gold idols which look like a jewelary store and the bakery selling cakes....whats more is that ur told which god ur supposed to see one after the other with the ropes and railings and all that stuff....
its been ages since i've gone there...
if u wanna know what a real temple is u need to come to southadka...its just amazing....they say the idol of lord ganesh which is there was found by kids who were playing and they worshipped it with cucumber....anyone can do pooja to the idol u don't necessarily need a pujari....there's no roof above the idol its in the open....
just picture it an idol in the middle of a forest...its so peaceful and there r so many cows and dogs roaming all around....
anyway awesome topic y don't u ask ur bro to publish it in the paper i heard he's the assisstant editor on one...is it true?
manasa
hey thnx a lot. i really appreciate it.
ya he is the sub editor. thnk ill ask him. thnx for the suggestion.
iskcon is a bakery....nicely put. i dont mean no disrespect for orthodox people.
thank u manasa.
Hey nitin,
I read somewhere that you don't like pizza hut but don't have the same feelings towards Dominos.And ye, cheese burst is my fav. too.
I mean to say we kinda share same thoughts.Same with ISKCON.Somehow, Bhakti doesn't call me there.Am always tempted to run to the "bakery" :D
Okay, jokes apart. Iskcon has amazing architecture, that's all I admire there.It's for those commercial reasons that ISKCON is famous across the globe.
Very well written.
Blog often!
in the words of the Grubby Halo song http://tafxkz.tripod.com//sympathy_for_god.html
Poor god if it needs a religion
Poor god if it thrives on my devotion
Poor god if it askin' for my money
Hired sales forces begging on the TV
Poor god if it cant stop a Tsunami
Poor god on both sides of the army
Poor god if it goes with the fashion
Beg your pardon, I'm no man of action
but I have …. Sympathy for god
raise my glass to Sympathy for god
Yes I have Sympathy for God
Raise my glass in Sympathy for god
Poor god if its so defined by logic
Poor god if sex can lose it's magic
Poor god if it breaks down like a temple
Gimmy a break or gimmi a risk free sample
Poor god I wonder if it will grow up
Poor god I cannot see it when it show's up
Poor god is there something I aint seeing
Tell me please there is something more it's being
Let's have some Sympathy for god
Raise your glass to Sympathy for god
Let's have some Sympathy for god
Raise your glass in Sympathy for God
Poor god eating lonely pie in the sky
Poor god if it walks the plank in my eye
Poor god if it is threatened by Da Vinci
Funny thing if it cannot see the irony
Poor god if you find it in your wallet
Poor god if it fittest in thy pocket
Poor god, if this song is all about you
Forgive me (but) I've no clue of what you do
but I have …. Sympathy for god
I raise my glass to Sympathy for god
I have found Sympathy for God
Raise my glass in Sympathy for god
When Angels look up do they see their halos ?
When Angels look up do they see their halos ?
When Angels look up do they see their halos ?
When Angels look up do they see their halos ?
Post a Comment